Friday, March 21, 2008

Working woman!!

Sorry no pictures on this post but I will add another post this weekend so stay tuned. I just had to let all of you that I GOT A JOB! It wasn't something that I intended to do until fall when I am suppose to start my internship but I couldn't pass up this opportunity. It's really a very strange story. I have been thinking about trying to find a place for my internship which starts in October. Back in February our Relief Society had a marrigae and family therapist come talk to us about keeping love in your realtionship with your spouse. I wasn't going to go but thought I'd better go just to socialize with the other lady's in the ward. Well after the MFT was done speaking, I went up and asked him if he took interns. He told me no but his son was an MFT and was always looking for interns for a program that he runs. He gave me the number and the next day I called his son Mike. (This was all before my Grandpa died.) Well then I went home for Grandpa's funeral and was gone for awhile. On my way home (actually in the Phoenix airport) I got a message on my phone from Mike. We played phone tag for awhile and then I finally got to talk to him. The program that he runs provides psychosocial rehabilitation counseling to at risk youth in the Preston Idaho area. We go into their homes and teach them coping skills, communication skills, social skills, etc... and the best part is that it pays really good!!! I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have at least part of my internship paid so I took the job! (By the way I talked to Mike and Paul-he's really my boss-both several times on the phone, never in person, and they still offered me the job.) That is the easiest job I ever got! The good thing about the job is that since the clientele are all school age kids they can't meet until school is out for the day. So it's in the evening and I can decide how many hours I want to work and when I want to work. Right now I have one client that I am suppose to spend 6 hours a week with. I go up to his house two times a week in the evening and have two three hour sessions with him. Last night was my first night with him on my own. It went ok but I'm having a hard time trying to keep him on task for three hours. His old case worker had one five hour session with him a week. I couldn't believe that! Anyway, we'll see how it goes over the next couple of months. It's a good experience for me if nothing else.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Yay for you! So, it's okay to start your internship early, even before you have finished classes? That's great! We'll have to keep in touch about the future. So much going on right now!

Shelley said...

Congrats Heather! That sounds perfect for you! I'm glad all is working out. You will be great!

David said...

Congrats, Sounds like a good job.

Gifford Family said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome.

Shan @ Design Gal said...

Heather that is really great! I'm excited for you! You'll have to keep us up to date on how it goes!